PDA

View Full Version : CM Punk

Mark Blicharz
06-28-2011, 04:10 AM
Did anyone catch this promo? HOLY SHIT.

Fanatix
06-28-2011, 04:13 AM
WTF was that. Even if it was an in-charater "shoot" it was still brilliantly well done. All the way down to the Stone Cold shirt.

Magnus2k
06-28-2011, 04:22 AM
I havent watched wrestling, aside from the Rocks return right before Mania, until that promo tonight. I was scanning through the channels, and heard Brocks name, so stopped. I know who CM Punk is, and had read on other boards he was an awesome mic man, so I gave him my ear. I'm glad I did. That was one of the best worked shoots I've ever seen. It was one of the top 5 promos I've ever seen. Brilliantly done.

Mark Blicharz
06-28-2011, 04:25 AM
I don't know if it was a worked shoot. I wouldn't put it past Vince, but holy crap.

Fanatix
06-28-2011, 04:48 AM
WOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm still buzzing from it. I'm in a hotel room tonight for work and I was jumping up and down going nuts over what he was saying. Probably the last time I bounced around so much during raw was valentines Day when the Rock returned and tore Cena, Cole and the house down with his return promo annoucing he had come "home".

I do think it was a worked shoot.
First off the whole storyline is just a little too "convienient" that his contract runs out the night of a PPV. So I do think a certain aspect of the angle is scripted.
Earlier in the day Punk had tweeted that he was in a "what are they going to do, fire me? mode"
Then Cole announces that Punk is suspended and his profile page on WWE.com is immediately taken down. WWE.com is NEVER that fast unless they know whats coming.

Do I think he maybe ad-libbed some of what he probably told the writers and bookers what he was going to say? Absolutely. And it was glorious. And the controversy and attention this promo brings probably only guarantees that he will be welcomed back to WWE because Vince's bottom line has always been about the almighty dollar.

Magnus2k
06-28-2011, 04:51 AM
Agreed. IF you dont think it was a worked shoot, then it obviously worked on you and the rest of the kayfabe audience. But it was worked. As Fantax said, why would he talk about leaving with the title after a ppv? Surely if it wasnt worked, and he was shooting from the hip, hes done after tonight. There is no I'm leaving after.....its I'm leaving tonight, due to what I'm about to say. I'm sure they were aware of the Brock, NJPW, RoH and that he was going to attack the family. WHAT he said about the family might not have been scripted, and might get him a talking too, but was most defintely worked.

Magnus2k
06-28-2011, 05:02 AM
Just watched it again it was so good. Its most assuredly a work. First, if it wasnt, as soon as he starts ripping on Cena, why would Cena continue to sell? Why would the cameras keep rolling? Why wasnt his mic shut off as soon as he busted a "You kiss more ass than Hulk and Dwayne. Oops, I broke the 4th wall" Mic = off at that point. So many things. Then Cole makes it a point to announce to the crowd after that he's suspended and his profile is down. Then its said another Raw is being taped immediately after this one tonight, and Triple H is having a number on contenders match.

Also, WWE twitter is tweeting non stop that Punk is in meetings with those he called out.

So much set up.

Fanatix
06-28-2011, 05:05 AM
By the way, Raw next week will be taped tonight so there are already spoilers on the net. If you are going to say something from next weeks show please be sure to use spoiler tags. I'm trying really hard not to read the results for next weeks show.

Mark Blicharz
06-28-2011, 05:26 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xja-TWxZBr0&feature=youtu.be

In case ya wanna watch the promo.

Craig Reade
06-28-2011, 06:17 AM
This is 100% a worked shoot.

His promo ended EXACTLY at their usual ending time.

@wwemagazine was "covering" some "meetings" backstage afterwards with cryptic comments.

Cena did nothing at all. The E isn't that sloppy - they'd have cut his feed WAY earlier if he was off script. They would have had Cena get up and do something (the refs have earpieces). Security would have come out. Something.

Every part of this angle has spun out of the rumors about him leaving. The whole reason for the Austin shirt and namedropping Heyman was to invoke their tweets. This entire angle is Vince realizing the product is stale, and trying to generate some interest. He's working the internet smarks, while at the same time making compelling television.

Also? Raw is "live," but they do have a good delay. They'd have cut it sooner if they really wanted to.

Nelodius
06-28-2011, 06:32 AM
Staged, but brilliant.

Craig Reade
06-28-2011, 07:04 AM
I didn't say it wasn't good. I am just saying there is absolutely no way in hell that is a shoot. If it were - well, part of the reason I LIKE Punk is because of the respect he has for the business. That is just not done - and I don't think he'd be the one to do it.

Spek1
06-28-2011, 07:07 AM
So...

Ten bucks says Cena does a start-off-jokey-end-off-yelling response :)

Fanatix
06-28-2011, 07:40 AM
Ya know, I re-watched the promo and it could honestly have been any promo given any night by a heel CM Punk except for a couple of things.

1. The mention of "Vince McMahons Imaginary Brass Rings". I assume this is referring to WWE's championship belts, so its remarkable to hear them called that. I mean this whole feud is so that he can leave with the belt. He (and/or his character) places a value on the belt. And even though the belts have been devalued over the past 10 years they are certainly still a hugely important part of the product.

2. The mention of John Laurianatisis, a behind the scenes booker, on screen. He referred to Vince and we all know that he and Stephanie run the show. We know that Triple H and steph are married in real life, that was revealed during Trips feud with Orton in 2009. So there wasn't any "behind the scenes" reveal there. Just some generic insulting of characters/people that are popular with the fans.

3. The Stone Cold Steve Austin T-Shirt. A very rare choice for a wrestler to come out wearing someone Else's gear. Yet alone Steve Austin gear, of the most popular in WWE history, when you are the heel. But obviously it played into the Punk vs McMahon part of the promo. And it had a certain feel of an Austin promo. That you weren't sure whether there was a separation between Punk the man and Punk the character.

It will be interesting to see how this goes. He certainly worked hard to stay a heel even as he was giving every smark in the building a boner. He insulted the fans throughout the promo. Insulted the Rock, even more-so than Cena.

And suspending him was probably the popular move of the "casual/Cena" fans at the show. But it will be a hated move by everybody else. With MITB being in Punks hometown, this could be the most ruckus Anti-Cena crowd since ECW One Night Stand in Philadelphia

Craig Reade
06-28-2011, 05:55 PM
1. The mention of "Vince McMahons Imaginary Brass Rings". I assume this is referring to WWE's championship belts, so its remarkable to hear them called that. I mean this whole feud is so that he can leave with the belt. He (and/or his character) places a value on the belt. And even though the belts have been devalued over the past 10 years they are certainly still a hugely important part of the product.

Actually, this one refers to Vince's "formula for success." Vince supposedly likes guys who take the initiative, and jump for every opportunity given them. This has nothing to do with the belts... it just has to do with a wrestler working his ass off.

3. The Stone Cold Steve Austin T-Shirt. A very rare choice for a wrestler to come out wearing someone Else's gear. Yet alone Steve Austin gear, of the most popular in WWE history, when you are the heel. But obviously it played into the Punk vs McMahon part of the promo. And it had a certain feel of an Austin promo. That you weren't sure whether there was a separation between Punk the man and Punk the character.

I like that observation as well - but I really think there is something going on between Austin and Punk behind the scenes. It's a good bet that Austin is responsible for Punk's recent push. A one word tweet in response to Heyman stroking Punk, and suddenly Punk's getting screen time with Austin, is being booked stronger than any heel in ages, and is in the middle of the biggest angle since the original Nexus.

Austin tweeted this in response to last night - "@CMPunk just melted my 52 inch TV with a scorching hot promo...delivery, content, and attitude...one of the best promos I've ever seen."

This angle is going to be major for him.

It will be interesting to see how this goes. He certainly worked hard to stay a heel even as he was giving every smark in the building a boner. He insulted the fans throughout the promo. Insulted the Rock, even more-so than Cena.

That promo was definitely aimed at smarks. Punk hit every highlight that smarks whine about on the internet - nothing more, nothing less. The smarks wrote that script... all of their inaccurate guessing and wild speculation laid bare. And since smarks almost never like faces, he has to be a heel. I've noticed that the WWE has become more comfortable working the internet... this is taking that to another level.

And suspending him was probably the popular move of the "casual/Cena" fans at the show. But it will be a hated move by everybody else. With MITB being in Punks hometown, this could be the most ruckus Anti-Cena crowd since ECW One Night Stand in Philadelphia

There is no chance that Punk isn't at MITB. There is no point to this angle if he's not. The only thing I can't decide is if Vince is really going to feed him to Cena.

Nelodius
06-28-2011, 06:20 PM
Craig I don't see how there isn't an enormous amount of backlash if Cena wins. The only thing I could see is Cena "taking extra advantage" during the match and it being controversial. A clean win for Cena just doesn't feel like it's going to work.

Craig Reade
06-28-2011, 06:28 PM
Craig I don't see how there isn't an enormous amount of backlash if Cena wins. The only thing I could see is Cena "taking extra advantage" during the match and it being controversial. A clean win for Cena just doesn't feel like it's going to work.

Have you ever seen a WWE audience?

Despite what you read on the internet, the vast majority of the "WWE Universe" loves John Cena. Despite what we are talking about here, most viewers are looking at his promo last night in horror. He called Cena an asskisser! And the Rock! GASP!"

I think Punk winning is the best course - but the fact is, I am in the minority. The Marks vastly outnumber the smarts and the smarks, and they are the ones that spend all the money on merch. There will be no backlash - there never is.

Nelodius
06-28-2011, 07:37 PM
This is very true. UGH.

Fanatix
06-28-2011, 10:20 PM
I like that observation as well - but I really think there is something going on between Austin and Punk behind the scenes. It's a good bet that Austin is responsible for Punk's recent push. A one word tweet in response to Heyman stroking Punk, and suddenly Punk's getting screen time with Austin, is being booked stronger than any heel in ages, and is in the middle of the biggest angle since the original Nexus.

Austin tweeted this in response to last night - "@CMPunk just melted my 52 inch TV with a scorching hot promo...delivery, content, and attitude...one of the best promos I've ever seen."

This angle is going to be major for him.

I don't know how much pull Austin really has backstage. Austin is a fan of Punk so when he comes in and has the right to choose who he wants to work with/interact with on TV he chooses Punk. But I'm not really convinced there is anything more too it.

And its the second biggest storyline since the Nexus angle last summer. I though the Rock vs Cena was just as big as this. And in some ways all three have a lot in common because they felt like "attitude" era storylines taking place in a PG world. As if, just for a little while, WWE had finally figured out the magic formula for entertaining the marks and smarks of all ages all at once.

There is no chance that Punk isn't at MITB. There is no point to this angle if he's not. The only thing I can't decide is if Vince is really going to feed him to Cena.

I wasn't saying that Punk won't be back at MITB. Actually the exact opposite. That with the home town crowd behind Punk, who really energized the vocal minority last night, it could be one of the most anti-Cena crowds we have ever seen.

Plus I think it will be a fantastic match. CM Punk always brings it and if this is his last match I expect him to go out at the top of his game. Maybe he even plays into this "smark" gimmick and no-sells a couple of Cena's moves. That would drive the anti-Cena fans into a frenzy.

Have you ever seen a WWE audience?

Despite what you read on the internet, the vast majority of the "WWE Universe" loves John Cena. Despite what we are talking about here, most viewers are looking at his promo last night in horror. He called Cena an asskisser! And the Rock! GASP!"

I think Punk winning is the best course - but the fact is, I am in the minority. The Marks vastly outnumber the smarts and the smarks, and they are the ones that spend all the money on merch. There will be no backlash - there never is.

Yup, In fact after Raw I went to WWE.com and it hadn't been fully updated yet but I checked out the live chat that Howard Fink runs on the website. And while there were certainly a lot who praised Punk, there were also a lot of kids who should have been in bed bad mouthing Punk for insulting Cena and the company they love.

Craig Reade
06-28-2011, 11:02 PM
And its the second biggest storyline since the Nexus angle last summer. I though the Rock vs Cena was just as big as this. And in some ways all three have a lot in common because they felt like "attitude" era storylines taking place in a PG world. As if, just for a little while, WWE had finally figured out the magic formula for entertaining the marks and smarks of all ages all at once.

Rock coming back was big... but his angle with Cena I have found to be pretty meh. Just my two cents though.

Mark Blicharz
06-29-2011, 06:15 AM
That's because after the promos immediately following WM, nothing's happened regarding that angle.

Waylon Wernette
06-29-2011, 03:10 PM
This was a scripted segment, but I totally believe CM had free reign over what he wanted to say. he had to make it real to get a big reaction. LoP was reporting they had it set up earlier in the day to where he would say what he wanted, but if it got too out of hand, they'd cut off his mic.

Well gone and hopefully it helps usher out the PG era which I have found to be boring when I have tuned in.

Read the spoilers for next week's RAW and it looks like a really boring stinker.

Jiggaman Tiga
06-29-2011, 03:37 PM
......wow.

NeonNemesis
06-29-2011, 04:11 PM
Yep it was definitly scriped, Punk never said on how Cena was given the title, nor how he is given the title, but how he will win it, and especially when he said he might defend the title in Japan, but no word on TNA.

Shouldn't the fact that he called Hulk Hogan a ass-kisser on the show bring WWE a ton of troubles in case Hulk decides to sue them?

Either way that promo rocked.

Christopher J. Lawton
06-29-2011, 04:50 PM
Shouldn't the fact that he called Hulk Hogan a ass-kisser on the show bring WWE a ton of troubles in case Hulk decides to sue them?

Nah, the only thing Hulk could sue for is slander, and the best defense against a slander charge is the truth. Basically put, it's not slander if it's true, and the burden of proof is on the accuser. So, in order for Hulk to win a slander judgement, he would have to show in court, to the satisfaction of a judge or jury, that he wasn't in fact an ass-kisser.

And who's gonna do that? In the entertainment business, the people who cut checks want you to be an ass-kisser. If you get a court to agree that you're a rebel who doesn't play by the rules, who's going to hire you?

Waylon Wernette
06-29-2011, 05:50 PM
Yeah Hulk has his hands full right now anyways. People claiming he beat his wife, and Ultimate Warrior putting it out there on the internet that Hogan wanted him to sleep with his ex wife. :LOL: WOW they need to sign them up for the next Wrestlemania.

GianlucaG
06-30-2011, 02:01 AM
Brilliant worked shoot. I really hope WWE has big plans for him and does something similar to when he won the ROH title and threaten to leave with it.

I always liked him when I saw in MLW and ROH. Never thought he'd be a big of a star as he is... and yet, he's right about not being the biggest star or given a consistent push. His Straight Edge Society group could have been huge if they weren't jobbed out all the time.

Mark Blicharz
07-04-2011, 05:11 PM
I've got a feeling Punk's already been re-signed to the company. I don't think there's any way Vince puts that open mic in his hands if Punk wasn't coming back guaranteed.

Nelodius
07-04-2011, 11:02 PM
I've got a feeling Punk's already been re-signed to the company. I don't think there's any way Vince puts that open mic in his hands if Punk wasn't coming back guaranteed.
Does that mean he's going to win the WWE title? Because that would be awesome. :D

Mark Blicharz
07-05-2011, 06:30 AM
I really think he's going to win it. If they don't put the belt on Punk, the entire angle's been a waste.

Spek1
07-05-2011, 07:12 AM
You know, I'm trying to think of the last time Cena did a promo that I liked. I didn't hate him tonight, but man, cut the high and mighty-slash-jokey talk. You wanna fight him because you take on all challengers, not because of some first amendment BS that preserves the right for you to dress like "the Kool-Aid Man in jorts", and not because Punk "earned" it. Vince was great, and gave the best possible reason for killing the fight: he can't risk Punk winning and leaving with the title, implying that Cena isn't good enough to win and keep the belt. So what does Cena say? "Oh, I can't guarantee I'll win, but it will be a great match" like that's supposed to instil confidence. Screw that. Guarantee it. Berate McMahon for doubting your skill.

Then they had to throw in a "Cena could be fired" twist, like back in the fall when was fired but didn't even miss an hour of showtime. To me, this means that 1) Cena wins, whoop-dee-doo, let's slap together a Del Rio angle for SummerSlam or 2) Punk wins, and neither his promise to leave nor Cena's firing holds any weight at all.

John Cena has a vagina. :((

Nelodius
07-05-2011, 05:59 PM
I would love a kayfabe Cena firing. They can do things with CM Punk. Right now he's the heel all the actual pro wrestling pundits love.

NeonNemesis
07-05-2011, 06:08 PM
I would love a kayfabe Cena firing. They can do things with CM Punk. Right now he's the heel all the actual pro wrestling pundits love.

They did that in the Nexus arc and he was still the main focus. The only way we have a top tier story that doesn't involves Cena is if he gets an injury or something that keeps him away from the ring, otherwise he will jump in the middle of it and run everything sooner or later.

Nelodius
07-05-2011, 06:42 PM
They did that in the Nexus arc and he was still the main focus. The only way we have a top tier story that doesn't involves Cena is if he gets an injury or something that keeps him away from the ring, otherwise he will jump in the middle of it and run everything sooner or later.
That's because the Nexus focused on John Cena. I don't think that CM Punk (or this saga) would. They can run with CM Punk...and have him turn face by the New Nexus turning on him. Or make him turn anti-hero.

Mark Blicharz
07-05-2011, 07:50 PM
Cena's actually banged up, which makes the Cena getting fired if he loses thing make sense.

Nelodius
07-05-2011, 08:10 PM
Cena's actually banged up, which makes the Cena getting fired if he loses thing make sense.
Yeah he's going to lose. Good. CURSE YOU SUPER CENA!!!! :LOL: :P

Spek1
07-05-2011, 08:11 PM
That's because the Nexus focused on John Cena. I don't think that CM Punk (or this saga) would. They can run with CM Punk...and have him turn face by the New Nexus turning on him. Or make him turn anti-hero.

Not really. Cena was fired, came out and said his goodbyes to the WWE, then proceeded to come out an hour later to harass Wade Barrett and crew. He never left, not even for a week, to sell the legitimacy of being fired. I won't blame Cena for this though, I'll blame the WWE for acting like their business could not survive a day without Cena.

Personally I'd like to see Punk leave with the belt AND Cena get fired. Make Cena have to go to ROH to get the belt back :)

Craig Reade
07-05-2011, 08:41 PM
I wish they would have actually gone with the Juan Cena approach. One house show appearance wasn't enough.

And yes, I liked Mr. America as well. ("I'm not Hogan, Brother!")

Craig Reade
07-05-2011, 09:42 PM
Does anyone else think that Punk's going to win the belt, only to have the Raw MITB winner come out and cash in after. And lose.

It's about time that happened, and I can't think of a better scenario to get it done.

Nelodius
07-05-2011, 10:20 PM
Does anyone else think that Punk's going to win the belt, only to have the Raw MITB winner come out and cash in after. And lose.

It's about time that happened, and I can't think of a better scenario to get it done.
Who would you have that be? Sounds like the only guy that would do that would be Miz. A Miz-Punk feud would be awesome...but if Punk is really going on LOA, then what?

Craig Reade
07-05-2011, 10:58 PM
It has to be a face. I'm thinking Alex Riley. It has to be a face, and it has to be someone who can afford that kind of loss. As much as I'd love Miz to win again, it's a much better story to have Vince make the MiTB winner a hail mary to try and save the title.

And no, I don't think that person will feud with Punk at all. He's just going to be fodder.

Nelodius
07-05-2011, 11:45 PM
It has to be a face. I'm thinking Alex Riley. It has to be a face, and it has to be someone who can afford that kind of loss. As much as I'd love Miz to win again, it's a much better story to have Vince make the MiTB winner a hail mary to try and save the title.

And no, I don't think that person will feud with Punk at all. He's just going to be fodder.
So I guess the question is...at SummerSlam, the WWE Championship Match will be.....??????

Craig Reade
07-06-2011, 01:06 AM
Punk vs. Cena. There is little else it could be at this point.

Nelodius
07-06-2011, 03:17 AM
BAH! Screw you Cena!

Fanatix
07-06-2011, 04:23 AM
Punk vs. Cena. There is little else it could be at this point.

Really? As soon as the Cena "lose and your fired" stipulation was announced on Raw a lot of the excitement I had about the feud and the match died. That pretty much guarantees that Cena wins. Punk winning was unlikely before but now its a complete fantasy and reinforces that after the last 2 tremendous weeks (and 2 years of work by Punk) that he is actually leaving.

And it sets up Cena vs Del Rio for summerslam. Which is a match that has been rumored and planned for months. Overall WWE has planned this out well and I am still really looking forward to the PPV (for once), but if that stipulation wasn't there I would be counting down the days.

Craig Reade
07-06-2011, 07:19 AM
Why? It isn't like Cena hasn't been fired before. It's meaningless, and he probably will be fired. But through all the legal loopholes that are going to make this angle what it is, Cena's rematch clause is going to be what forces Punk to come back and defend the belt.

Though, I still tend to think that Punk isn't going to win it. Vince didn't say "lose and you're fired." He said Cena was fired if Punk "walks out of Chicago with the title." Punk is going to win the match - but the MiTB winner is going to cash in and win it. Maybe even both will try. I just dread Cena being put in the MitB match to try and get it back. I suspect the Cena/Punk match will be first, and the entire PPV is going to be about Vince trying to get the belt back before it ends.

Punk doesn't have to win it and leave for this to be entertaining. The smark in me thinks so... but the wrestling fan in me realizes he is the heel. The face is always going to come out on top eventually. It's the business.

As far as matches being planned for months - remember when they planned Barrett/Taker at Wrestlemania for months? These things have a funny way of changing when the time comes. Cena getting the belt back moments before Punk's "contract expires" does seem to set that match up, given Del Rio won a #1 contenders match.

Spek1
07-07-2011, 03:54 PM
Well unless the WWE is pulling a fast one on GLAAD, it looks like CM Punk will be done after the PPV, ar least for a while.

From GLAAD's site: (http://glaadblog.org/2011/07/05/glaad-in-talks-to-train-wwe-talent-after-anti-gay-incident/)

"WWE officials also told GLAAD this morning that CM Punk’s contract will expire in a few weeks, he will not be immediately renewed, and he will no longer be with WWE as of July 18. A spokesperson told us “this departure is not part of a storyline. He is contractually leaving the organization.”

A spokesperson for the WWE told us “We are taking this very seriously.”"

Craig Reade
07-07-2011, 05:20 PM
Oiy, don't get me started on them. So he called someone a Homo. Who the hell cares.

I love people who look for reasons to be offended. Get a spine...

And the WWE has no problem dishing out Kayfabe in Press releases. Punk will be gone for a short time, there is no doubt of that. But he will be back. There is no way in the world they are doing a program like this with someone they haven't made an arrangement with.

Spek1
07-07-2011, 06:15 PM
Oh I have no doubts that Punk will be back, just not in time for SummerSlam. I don't think that the WWE wants to fool GLAAD in 2011 — this ain't the Billy and Chuck days.

So... Cena wins yet again? Gets the crowd singing Na Na Hey Hey to Punk, only to get blindsided by MITB winner Del Rio?

Craig Reade
07-07-2011, 07:58 PM
A Chicago crowd isn't singing that to CM Punk. If Cena wins, they will riot.

I see Punk winning it, and the MITB winner taking it off him before I see Cena winning outright. But then, this is Cena we are talking about...

Spek1
07-07-2011, 08:13 PM
It would be kinda cool for Cena to lose, then have a heel MITB winner beat Punk, arrogantly but correctly proclaiming himself the saviour of the WWE title.

Nelodius
07-07-2011, 09:56 PM
It would be kinda cool for Cena to lose, then have a heel MITB winner beat Punk, arrogantly but correctly proclaiming himself the saviour of the WWE title.
This SOUNDS like the best storyline.

Craig Reade
07-21-2011, 10:59 PM
Punk invades WWE panel at Comicon -

Awesome stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NAvDqglbAE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Nelodius
07-22-2011, 04:57 AM
This...was kayfabe without being kayfabe.

Fanatix
07-27-2011, 08:34 PM
CM Punk did an interview yesterday with bill simmons from ESPN. You can listen to the Podcast here. http://www.grantland.com/podcasts

An excellent conversation about the state of the industry, CM Punk's state of mind, and the general direction of Punk's storyline. It is certainly a "non-kayfabe" interview but its obvious that Punk the man and Punk the wrestler are very similar people.

Mark Blicharz
08-03-2011, 04:55 AM
And that's why Punk's so insanely over right now. Fans know when wrestlers are forcing themselves. When they just let it go they get over.

Nelodius
08-03-2011, 05:56 PM
And that's why Punk's so insanely over right now. Fans know when wrestlers are forcing themselves. When they just let it go they get over.
Couldn't agree more. I want CM Punk to win and feud with Del Rio honestly. I think that could be milked for several months if it's done right.

A consolation would be Cena feuding with Del Rio in costing him his half of the WWE title. Del Rio interferes on Cena but CM Punk clocks Del Rio and "unifies" the "belts".

Magnus2k
08-04-2011, 05:56 PM
John Cena proves your theory is a bust. To the Marks, Cena is still Superman. Trust me, if Cena wasnt selling mad merchandise to the marks, than Vince wouldnt have had him on top for so long.

Fanatix
08-04-2011, 06:11 PM
John Cena proves your theory is a bust. To the Marks, Cena is still Superman. Trust me, if Cena wasnt selling mad merchandise to the marks, than Vince wouldnt have had him on top for so long.

Yup. WWE has been caught between a rock and a hard place for a few years as they have one of the most diverse audiences it has ever had right now.

It has done a great job the past several years developing a strong family fan base. Kids, Moms and Dads. They like Cena. Its also the kids that are buying the action figures, the t-shirts, the wristbands, the masks, the dvd's, that get their parents to order PPVs.

And then theres the loyal fans who started watching maybe as teenagers in the attitude era or before and still enjoy it. These fans are normally more critical and cynical (cough internet smarks) and seem to root for the underdog (face or heel) more than whatever main eventer is in place. These fans normally DON'T spend money on PPV's because they can get them free illegally online. They don't buy T-Shirts or action figures. They might by one or two DVD's and maybe a video game.

If WWE wants to make money they will ALWAYS have to establish solid babyface stars who have the right look and character that WWE can use to sell stuff to kids. What is fun right now is that there is literally a champion for both sets of fans. Of course thats going to end at summerslam. And I think the CM Punk smarks do need to prepare themselves (and not just make baseless threats and freak out) that he might lose at Summerslam and then move onto a program with HHH or the Miz.

Nelodius
08-04-2011, 06:35 PM
My theory? Or Mark's? @Mags...

Don't recall posting a theory...just some desired outcomes.

Ben Mayfield
08-15-2011, 01:56 AM
CM Punk talks comics after the two minute mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_XZcpamrwQ&feature=player_embedded#at=37

Fanatix
08-16-2011, 05:10 AM
CM Punk talks comics after the two minute mark.

Yeah I saw that. It just makes me like CM Punk even more that he has an outspoken opinion on comics that I happen to agree with for the most part.

And speaking of Punk, he did a great job on Raw. The angle has become a little more "typical WWE storyline" now and less radical "reality" experiment. Which is fine and is probably more sustainable for future success for Punk and WWE.

But man, did Punk destroy Nash on Raw or what. Nash used to be known for being quick whitted and topical in his promos. But man he has completly lost touch with the audience whereas they (and I) hang on Punks every word.

Spek1
08-16-2011, 05:46 AM
I didn't have too much of a problem with Nash on the mic. Not as good as Punk of course, but I think he held his own.

Cena, on the other hand...