PDA

View Full Version : Its the end of the DCU as we know it. What wil you miss/remember most?

Fanatix
08-25-2011, 06:05 AM
Well yesterday was the last day that a comic book would be published in the existing DCU. Next week DC is publishing Flashpoint #5 and Justice League #1.

I've seen this question asked on a couple of blogs/twitter and thought it might make for an interesting topic. What are some of your favorite moments from the existing DCU continuity? What do you think you will miss the most?

For me just a couple of my favorite moments that come to mind when I think of the DCU that probably can't be replicated in the DCnU are:

1. Electric blue superman fighting an angel invasion in Grant Morrisons run on JLA.

2. The gut wrenchingly emotional death of Jack Drake, Tim Drakes father, in Identity Crisis. Seeing Robin race home with batman to try to save his father. The look drawn by Rags Morales on Tim's face. Ugh. Heartbreaking.

3. Parallax taking Kyle Rayner in the Sinestro Corps war. Sinestro explaining that it had been a Sinestro Corps parasite that killed his mother, opening him up to fear. That page where Parallax takes on Kyles old costume was great and then made even better by the reveal that Superman Prime, Cyborg Superman, and the Ant-Monitor were all also corps members. Thats when shit got real.

4. Too many relationships to name. The wonderful friendship between the birds of prey. The family and father/son relationships between the old guard and younger generation in birds of prey. The complicated soap opera drama of Dick Graysons former girlfriends and fiances. Lois and Clark. The friendship between the teen titans that was forged in young justice. The bickering friendship that existed between Booster, Ted Kord, and the rest of the JLI.

Magnus2k
08-26-2011, 05:40 AM
The Jack Drake thing was fantastic, as was the Sue Dibney portion. That was just an amazing story.

For all the hardasses that claim to dislike Bruce Wayne, the sheer fear and utter dispair when Black Hand brought out Bruce's "corpse" duing Blackest Night.

The rise of Prime, Damien Wayne and Jason Todd. I think they were all amazing characters.

Johns bringing back the Teen Titans with Young Justice.

Johns making Sinestro a legit badass.

Where Is Tony
08-26-2011, 01:57 PM
Well DC's continuity has been pretty shakey since around GL:Rebirth/IC.

I will miss the secret six. Birds of Prey as we know it. Other than that I feel the fresh start will be good. I will also remember Identity Crisis for the sheer awesomeness.

I look forward to the Green Lantern Comics having a chance to have continuity. I hope we get back to evil busniness man Lex instaed of Mad Scientist Lex. I am hoping they come as close to starting fresh as possible. And also make clear what they have kept. As much as I enjoyed Aspects of Brand New day, I found the lack of certainty frustrating. The feeling they ar emaking up history as they go will be even worse line wide.

It will be like when Image first came out, exciting and confusing, hopefully it is followed up with something that feels cohesive.

Waylon Wernette
08-26-2011, 03:13 PM
I'll miss Johns' run on Wally Flash, Hawkman, and JSA. God I'm going to miss JSA. It just started to get really good again under it's current writer. I was interested in Jay as the mayor or monument point.

Waylon Wernette
08-26-2011, 03:44 PM
They weren't the best arcs, but I loved the jla arc the obsidian age, and the arc that followed where Martian Manhunter unleashed his destructive side the Burning. They were a lot of fun.

s_agent
08-31-2011, 12:27 AM
Identity Crisis was great, the expansion of the GL universe (even if it hasn't produced as many high quality moments as it should've), and the rise and fall of certain characters (Sinestro, Connor Kent, Brainiac, Jason Todd, BA, etc.).

Ben Mayfield
09-01-2011, 12:58 AM
Off the current market as of yesterday: I know now that with Thunder Agents coming back, I won't have to miss that one. I wasn't happy with the GL stuff since Blackest Night so I won't exactly being missing that, as it just made a clear jump off point there.

Over time, my DC has fell off year by year since high school so I can't say I'm terribly attached to anything. I was most nervous about how the Wildstorm stuff would fair, but Stormwatch seems to sound like it will be up to snuff.

So I'll say I miss the outer rim stuff of the DCU that came by every few years that wasn't like their normal line like Justice League Elite, Aztek, Nightwing's Outsiders, and Starman.

Terry Verticchio
09-03-2011, 04:58 PM
I'm going to miss Secret Six and the awesomeness of Catman.

Sinestro Corps War made me a GL fan and made me believe that Johns could do anything.

Grant Morrison had some of the best and craziest ideas in the history of comics that didn't quite make it right to the end.