Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: AvX Discussion thread

Blog Entries
    AR is an interesting concept, but they need to come up with more to do with it if it's going to justify an extra dollar. The second issue had, what, three pencil-to-color treatments and that was it?
    Funny superheroes, chilling monsters and much more. Here's where to buy eBooks, print books or audiobooks of Other People's Heroes, The Beginner, and all of my available writing: Blake's Now Available Page

Bigger on the Inside Ben Mayfield's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Waylon Wernette View Post
    Eh, the Infinite thing was more of a waste than anything. It didn't add much to the story other than showing the new Nova freak as he crashed to Earth. Any chance this is the same new Nova that debuted on the new Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon?
    They have the same name, Sam Alexander.

Quote Originally Posted by Blake Petit View Post
    AR is an interesting concept, but they need to come up with more to do with it if it's going to justify an extra dollar. The second issue had, what, three pencil-to-color treatments and that was it?
    -Summer event comics at the Big Two have been four bucks for over eight years now.

-There's a free digital copy as well, opposed to the extra buck the competition charges.
    Comics weren't actually better when you were a child. It was because you were a child.

“Every comic could be someone’s first” - Stan Lee

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mayfield View Post
    -Summer event comics at the Big Two have been four bucks for over eight years now.
    And unless they've had extra story pages, I've never been okay with that.

-There's a free digital copy as well, opposed to the extra buck the competition charges.
    How did this turn into a "Marvel Vs. DC" thing? But since you brought it up...

Marvel -- standard sized comic book+digital copy=$3.99
    DC -- extra-sized comic book+digital copy=$4.99

There's your difference. More story pages.

On the other hand, DC DOES give you the option of a less expensive version without the download code, for people -- like me -- who don't particularly care about or want the digital comic.
    Funny superheroes, chilling monsters and much more. Here's where to buy eBooks, print books or audiobooks of Other People's Heroes, The Beginner, and all of my available writing: Blake's Now Available Page

The Neverending Rank Craig Reade's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I personally don't care who does it. It is too much either way. It makes it better if the comic has extra pages, but $4 is too much for a comic. I know some readers will pay it... And I do sometimes grudgingly... But I do make a point of avoiding $4 books often, and I am not alone. Even the people who do buy them... It limits what some people can spend on other books, and the titles that can barely sustain the $3 price tag suffer as a result.

The digital comic is mostly useless anyway. Unless you give it to a friend, you don't need it since you already own the comic.

"Fight's over, son." Superman to Billy Batson.

"Superman's dials go to 11. Mine start there." - Me

I bought issue #2 after gripping about #1. There was a lot of fun fighting, but honestly the issue didn't move the story along. It felt like I need to buy the other tie-in books to figure out what was going on with the Space Avengers, etc.

Cyclops taking a

Bigger on the Inside Ben Mayfield's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blake Petit View Post
    How did this turn into a "Marvel Vs. DC" thing? But since you brought it up...

Marvel -- standard sized comic book+digital copy=$3.99
    DC -- extra-sized comic book+digital copy=$4.99

There's your difference. More story pages.

On the other hand, DC DOES give you the option of a less expensive version without the download code, for people -- like me -- who don't particularly care about or want the digital comic.
    Just an interesting observation of different approaches to pricing and digital policies. The extra story pages just started for the New 52. Before Marvel announced free digital copies, DC had been filling the backs of books like Justice League with creator comments and character sketches.

I do feel one company's digital plans is retailer-friendly and reward based, and other less so, but that's a talk for another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blicharz View Post
    The digital comic is mostly useless anyway. Unless you give it to a friend, you don't need it since you already own the comic.
    Not exactly. It's basically like the free digital copy of my BluRay purchases. I can't take a stack of comics into work with me every day, but I have my iPad at arms reach 24/7. All my applicable comics (and movie) purchases are right there.

Plus, just the fact that a person redeems a comic on the Marvel website sends a little financial kick back to the shop they bought the print copy from, which is never a bad thing.

Doesn't have to be a friend you give it to either, it can be used as a chance to get more folk into comic books. I've given digital copies to people on Twitter of books I didn't want/need on the iPad, and I've given physical copies away to people at work.
    Comics weren't actually better when you were a child. It was because you were a child.

“Every comic could be someone’s first” - Stan Lee

I don't exactly understand what's the deal with the phoenix force. It's travelling and destroying planets as it's coming towards earth but to destroy earth needs jean or hope or someone as a host. What's the deal? Plus the phoenix force is only destroying worlds? During Morisson's run it was judging the people and burning their flaws... Some explanation???

Yeah the main book's not explaining much. The main AvX book is just showing people fighting all over the place, while hoping you are picking up all the tie-ins to get the real story.