Thread: Prometheus

Talking Prometheus

Is anyone else excited about Prometheus?

For those who do not know it is a stand alone prequel to Alien and is directed by the original director of Alien, Sir. Ridley Scott.

It is a prequel since it takes place in the same universe as the Alien series, and involves the Company that Ripley worked for, Weyland-Yutani and their quest to find out the origin of humanity and colonize new planets.

The Space Jockey and the derelict spaceship from the first Alien film are going to be in it. The actual xenomorphs may or may not be in it, we have heard both things.

It seems like it is going to be a really high concept sci-fi film. It takes place like 30 years before Alien. It seems to support the ancient astronaut theory that humans were created or helped along the way by extra terrestrials. The trailer and viral marketing suggests that Peter Weyland, the CEO and founder of the Weyland Corporation wants to become a "god" so to speak.

Also in this film we will see the David android, the precursor to the Ash model android from Alien, Bishop from Aliens, and Call from Alien Resurrection.

It stars Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender, Guy Pearce, Charlize Theron, and Idris Elba.

HR Giger, the original creator of the Alien design is going to be making some stuff for this film too.

For more the official site has some cool viral marketing: https://www.weylandindustries.com/

Trailer:

Blog Entries
    Have to admit, i'm quite psyched for this! Don't wanna hear or know too much about it, wanna just experience it, like I did Silence of the Lambs, walked into the movie asking what the hell this movie is/about? and walked out thinking, 'WOW, that just blew me away on all levels!!'
    "!!"Burn %^$#@& Burn!!

Bigger on the Inside Ben Mayfield's Avatar
    From what I've read, it started as an Alien prequel, but Ridley Scott said it became almost something else entirely by the time they were done so I wouldn't hang my hat too much on Alien easter eggs in the film.

No matter to me, though. It's a ****ing Ridley Scott sci-fi. Of course, I'm pysched.
    Comics weren't actually better when you were a child. It was because you were a child.

“Every comic could be someone’s first” - Stan Lee

Yeah from what I've heard the Aliens are mentioned here or there (there's a xenomorph carving in a wall in one of the trailers), but I heard this focuses mainly on the Space Jockey character.

I'm stoked for this!

Also Guy Pearce's Mr. Weyland character is

The Neverending Rank Craig Reade's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I really am not sure what I think about this... and that is probably a good thing. I'll check it out.

I don't mind it being set in the Alien universe, but I hope it doesn't rely too much on references to the franchise. I think we had another thread about this movie before...

Probably. Yeah Scott has stated there are little hints here and there that point to the Aliens, but he said he was focusing on the origins of humanity and the Space Jockey alien. Ign.com has a really good rewind breakdown on the latest trailer.

This should be it here.

Blog Entries
    C'mon people, do we really need to know every aspect of the movie BEFORE it even comes out?

Is it any wonder you get upset when the movie/comic fails to impress you? The previews/trailer/hype/whathaveyou tainted your attitude.

Blog Entries
    Just listened to an interview with Damon Lindeloff where he talks about this a bit. He's careful not to call it a prequel either, because although it's set in the same universe, and there are connections, the story doesn't directly lead into Alien the way the prequel/remake of The Thing directly leads into the John Carpenter version.
    Funny superheroes, chilling monsters and much more. Here's where to buy eBooks, print books or audiobooks of Other People's Heroes, The Beginner, and all of my available writing: Blake's Now Available Page

Yeah it is really smart how they are being so secretive about this movie. So many movies get their plots ruined beforehand.

As for it being a prequel, it is one since it takes place before the first film and is in the same universe, but the xenomorphs do not have to be in it. It might be smart since the AVP films and Alien Resurrection really did a number on the franchise. It is more of a stand alone film.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by frostedone View Post
    Yeah it is really smart how they are being so secretive about this movie. So many movies get their plots ruined beforehand.

As for it being a prequel, it is one since it takes place before the first film and is in the same universe, but the xenomorphs do not have to be in it. It might be smart since the AVP films and Alien Resurrection really did a number on the franchise. It is more of a stand alone film.
    I think it takes more than just being set in the same universe to be a true prequel. Old issues of Patsy Walker are set in the 616 Marvel Universe, but that doesn't make them a prequel to Avengers Vs. X-Men. To me, a real prequel is an earlier installment of a previous story, just as a sequel is a continuation of a story.

We're kind of splitting hairs now, though -- it doesn't really matter what you call it. I'm still looking forward to it.
    Funny superheroes, chilling monsters and much more. Here's where to buy eBooks, print books or audiobooks of Other People's Heroes, The Beginner, and all of my available writing: Blake's Now Available Page