Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking Bad thread

Blog Entries

Breaking Bad thread

How is there NOT one?

Okay, having watched the whole series in about a month, I'm floored. From writing to performance, I finally understand why some people are calling this the greatest drama series of all time.
    Funny superheroes, chilling monsters and much more. Here's where to buy eBooks, print books or audiobooks of Other People's Heroes, The Beginner, and all of my available writing: Blake's Now Available Page

Gooey in the Middle Andrea Speed's Avatar
    Washington State. Where we love slugs and don't care who knows it.
    Blog Entries
    There isn't one because so few people ever responded to my reviews, I did feel like I was the only one watching it. But goddamn, I love the shit out of this show. It's a beautiful study of a man who moves from sympathetic and understandable to, frankly, a monster, and it makes it so easy. Yes, it's a slippery slope, and yes, you can see it coming, but it doesn't stop you, and oftentimes, you don't know how it could be avoided. It's a fantastic character study. If it can happen to him, it could really happen to almost anyone.

Conversely, I love the irony that the petty, annoying criminal is the only lingering sense of humanity left. Jesse's arc has paralleled Walt's journey in every way - while Walt's slowly lost his humanity, Jesse has regained his. But to great cost, and one that might eventually kill him. (Although I have a feeling that Mike survived is going to be key in the final season. What is he going to think when he find out what Walt's done? Mike's a real wild card here. )

Blog Entries
    I would agree. I think there would have been a bigger to-do about it if Mike had died. I fully expect to see him back in season five, and it'll be interesting to see whether or not he's out for revenge for Gus or something else. While he rejected Walt's attempt to turn him AGAINST Gus, it's never really clear if he's especially LOYAL to Gus or is simply acting out of a sense of professionalism.

As for Jesse... y'know, I think Jesse is going to survive. In fact, because of that same parallel trajectory thing you mentioned, I think we're going to see a major turn in the end.

Jesse kills Walt. And what's more, by the time he does it, we will be completely on his side.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here with this prediction, so bear with me here. While Walt has spiraled out of control, you're right, Jesse has managed to regain some of his humanity. And there have been two major ways we've seen that happen: through guilt over things like Jane and Gale's deaths, and through his interesting compulsion to look out for children. He risked himself to save the kid in the meth house, he refused to sell to Andrea when he found out she was a mother, he faced Gus head-on over the fact that his thugs were using kids as hitmen. And he even took the fall for his little brother, pretending the kid's pot was his, knowing it would get him thrown out of the house and estranged from his family all over again.

I think in the end, we're going to see Walt go so far over the deep end he'll do something that directly endangers his family -- the reason he started down this road in the first place. And Jesse, to save them (in particular Holly) will have to take out Mr. White. And it'll tear out his heart (and ours) to do it, but it'll be the right choice.

At least, that's how I would end it, based on the story trajectory of the first four seasons.
    Funny superheroes, chilling monsters and much more. Here's where to buy eBooks, print books or audiobooks of Other People's Heroes, The Beginner, and all of my available writing: Blake's Now Available Page

My guess is Walt is going to kill at least one of his family members, and probably Jesse. It'll end with him imprisoned or being alone with nothing.

Blog Entries
    Hmm. See, I imagine Walt as being the new Gus at the end, head of his own meth empire ... but then Jesse turns state's evidence on him, trying to alleviate some of his guilt. So I think the series ends with Walt the new king, but for how long?

Blog Entries
    Interesting thoughts... I just find it hard to imagine Walt surviving. I'm almost certain he'll die in the finale.

I agree Blake. I had this conversation with Andrea in another thread. Dont remember if it was a review or a last tv show you watched, but Walt isnt built to be Gus. He isnt savy enough on that front. He has all the intelligence, but none of the style or know how. I think the final scene in last season's finale all but assured there will be a final confrontation with Jesse and Walt and only one will walk away from it.

Is this season coming up confirmed to be the last season?

Blog Entries
    Yeah -- 16 episodes split into two 8-episode chunks.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, which is a bummer, but it could only go on so long.

And Walt has changed though each season. I really think he's going to try and fit in Gus's shoes. Having him die would just be too pat a moral message for a show all about decay.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea Speed View Post
    Yeah, which is a bummer, but it could only go on so long.

And Walt has changed though each season. I really think he's going to try and fit in Gus's shoes. Having him die would just be too pat a moral message for a show all about decay.
    That would make sense if Jesse's character had not progressed the way it has. He's not a "good guy" so to speak, but he is good at heart and has slowly learned life lessons on morality. Walt on the other hand, is turning pure evil. We all know the reasoning, but you know what they say about the road to hell.

I think one of them dying (Walt) shows the theme of good can't exist without evil. It just isn't feasible. As Jesse turned good, Walt slowly morphed into the misguided, tortured soul that enabled his heinous acts.