Thread: The Elder Scrolls Online Announced!

The Elder Scrolls Online Announced!

The Elder Scrolls online was announced today for PC and Mac! Not much is known about the game at this point, but what do you guys think about a Elder Scrolls MMO?

The Neverending Rank Craig Reade's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Another franchise ruined by an MMO? Yeah, I think that's what's about to happen.

Maybe harsh, and I do think MMOs have a place, but the day my negativity about this changes is the day they release another new non-MMO Warcraft game.

Bethesda hired Matt Firor back in 2007 so they've probably been working on this for a while. Bethesda has to be salivating at all that Warcraft and Old Republic money.

My question is what the art style will look like. The series has a realistic look to it, but I think it would be too hard to use a high powered enine on an MMO. I also dont think they'd go for cartoonish graphics like WoW or OR, so I wonder if they'd try the Oblivion engine.

Blog Entries
    I have little doubt that they have been working on it for a while.

I actually don't even have a problem with them making MMOs in game franchises. I used to love playing them, but I no longer have the time. The thing I don't like is how game developers seem to thing that the MMO is the end-all, be-all of game styles. MMOs are fine, but I PREFER the single player, or limited multiplayer. The trouble is, when they release the MMO, development for the single player or LMO style comes to an end.

I was not an Elder Scrolls fan, but I really liked Skyrim - enough that I would love to check out the next game in the series. And MMO not only means that I will NOT be checking out the next game, but also that it is unlikely that there ever will be another game in the series for me to check out. At least, not for a decade or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Reade View Post
    I have little doubt that they have been working on it for a while.

I actually don't even have a problem with them making MMOs in game franchises. I used to love playing them, but I no longer have the time. The thing I don't like is how game developers seem to thing that the MMO is the end-all, be-all of game styles. MMOs are fine, but I PREFER the single player, or limited multiplayer. The trouble is, when they release the MMO, development for the single player or LMO style comes to an end.

I was not an Elder Scrolls fan, but I really liked Skyrim - enough that I would love to check out the next game in the series. And MMO not only means that I will NOT be checking out the next game, but also that it is unlikely that there ever will be another game in the series for me to check out. At least, not for a decade or so.
    This. I barely have time to play through limited-length single-player games--and even then, not that much. I STILL haven't finished Skyrim's story. (This summer... this summer...) I get why they do that. They will make the retail price of the game multiple times over with a monthly subscription. I'm just scared that this means the end of the single player franchise. After all... when was the last time we had a Warcraft game?

Blog Entries
    I said the same thing in post #2. I felt the same way about The Old Republic.

The only GOOD thing about this is that the market really can only sustain so many MMOs - it's nature doesn't allow for a ton of competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Reade View Post
    I said the same thing in post #2. I felt the same way about The Old Republic.

The only GOOD thing about this is that the market really can only sustain so many MMOs - it's nature doesn't allow for a ton of competition.
    Really, it's only been able to support one successfully--WOW. Others have come along, and even made a slight dent in the market, but none have lasted. There is only one. TOR is pretty close, but I hear the end game is kind of limited, so I'm not sure how much longevity it has.

Maybe TES will do it. I remember playing Morrowind way back when and thinking, "too bad this isn't an MMO. It would be fun to play this with other people."

Blog Entries
    I've thought the same thing - but MMO takes it too far sometimes. The perfect balance is Limited Multiplayer, like what you got in Neverwinter Nights. In an MMO, you get these enormous globs of people at status spam and all the bads that come along with it - and the atmosphere of the game is ruined. You aren't special when there are more people questing than there are civilians!

Skyrim would be outstanding if you could have 4 or 8 people specifically invited to play in one "world." The technical mechanics shouldn't be that hard - even if you allow the same world be available at all times (the first person on "hosts" - and every time people log out the state of the world is stored in the cloud, to be accessed next time someone logs in). You might encounter each other - and you might not! You could decide to form a group and work towards a common goal, or you could work against each other! And since there are so few "special" (real, evolving) characters, the game retains the same atmosphere, and YOUR actions actually matter.

An MMO swings that pendulum way too far in the other direction. Guild Wars came close to preserving that atmosphere, but it still didn't quite get there.

The trailer was released, but I'm not going to post it on the Front Page. It's about a minute long and shows the ring (pictured in the front page article) form. Pretty lame if you ask me. Why hype the coming release of the game trailer when it shows absolutely nothing?